Noa definitely needs some more "big girl" toys. She's totally getting tired of all the little baby toys that she has and we haven't bought anything special for her in a while. I had this great idea to refurbish a play kitchen for her since I kept seeing it all over the place online.
I looked on Craigslist and found this ugly one for $30. I probably could've talked her down, but I'm not much of a negotiator, so I kind of forgot. Anyway... $30 is better than $150 - $200 for a little wooden kitchen.
So, while the girls were at Mother's Morning Out, I had a 3 hour window to start my project. After I stared at it for about 15 minutes, I decided I had to take everything apart in order to sand the very thick paint off of it.
I put all the little hinges and screws in sandwich bags and labeled them so I would know what was going on when I put it back together.
I sanded and sanded... and sanded... piece by piece and after being covered in blue and red dust, was finally able to prime them. I wasn't going to at first, but decided they needed to be primed just because the paint was so smooth and was still very present even after a lot of sanding. I found Rustoleum on a shelf in the garage, which is a spray paint primer for metal things. Even though this was wood, the can said: for smooth surfaces, so I thought I would give it a go. So far, so good.
Next I started painting each individual piece. This is when I realized that this project is not for the faint of heart. It took about 5 - 6 coats to get rid of that nasty blue paint. I don't mind painting though, it just took a while. I just painted and prayed for about a week's worth of the girls' nap times. Half way through painting, I put the bottom back together and painted more coats while it was one piece.
After trying a stone spray paint (to try to make it look like granite), I decided I liked just plain paint better, so I tried some green paint that we had left over from Noa's roon. I liked it! Green it is!
I then sanded the top and covered all the silver parts with paper so I wouldn't paint them. I primed it and painted it white. I added green later but white was my base.
After painting everything (a majority of the work), I decided to put little hooks on the side to hold 2 baskets for more storage (small "cup holder screws" that wouldn't go all the way through the wood).
I made 2 basket liners for the inside.
So, here's the run-down:
- Play kitchen - $30
- White paint - 1 quart -$9 (I used almost the whole thing)
- Green paint - Free - leftover from Noa's room
- Spray Clear Top Coat - $3
- 2 white baskets - $1.25
- Pink towel - $2
- Fabric for baskets - Free - leftover from another project
- Time spent: about 15 hours
Total: $45.25 - not too bad for a little wooden custom kitchen. :)