Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Ruthie Ru


1 Peter 3:7 - "Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered."
2 Timothy 2:20 - "Now in a large house there are not only gold and silver vessels, but also vessels of wood and of earthenware, and some to honor and some to dishonor."
I am so thankful for the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives. These two verses kept coming up in my spirit this week and I believe the Lord is giving me some insight into Ruthie's life. I'm so thankful. It may seem like a strange set of verses, but to me it makes perfect sense.
In praying for Ruthie and thinking back through her short life, I am realizing something amazing about her. She is a fragile vessel! She was the baby who responded to teething in the worst way you could imagine. She does not react to change very well. When she is sick, everyone knows it. When she is frustrated, you better believe we know it. She is sooo super sensitive to things! Don't hear what I'm not saying. I'm not saying, "Woe is me because I have this difficult child." I actually don't think she's all that different from a lot of other kids and she is absolutely precious in more ways than I can count. But the Lord used these two verses (albeit one is talking about husbands and wives) to remind me that fragile vessels are still vessels and actually, we should treat them with greater respect! Ruthie has an incredible capacity for the glory of God to be revealed in and through her! In fact, if I am carrying around a china plate, compared to a block of wood, I am going to treat that plate with much more care and concern. I believe this is what the Lord is speaking to me about Ruthie. She is my little china plate. Think about training a kid to carry a china plate as opposed to a block of wood. You're going to spend a lot more time with them regarding the china plate. I think this is where I'm at with the Lord. He is having to show me so many special things about Ruthie so I am able to properly take care of her. Just as Russ shows honor to me, as the weaker vessel, I feel this for my children, in general, and this week I especially feel that for Ruthie. What an honor it is to take care of such a wonderful, fragile little child!
Lord, help me appreciate the fragility and beauty of your weaker vessels.

2 comments:

The Costas said...

so true. God make me gentle like you are so gentle with me. i always am so encouraged reading your posts. thank you.

Irene Weeks said...

That describes my Andrew. And we have the added concern of training such a sweet, sensitive and fragile spirit into being the stronger vessel to lead his wife and home one day! God has a special calling for people with such a sweet tender spirit. I will pray with you in your leading her to that calling of God!